Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mothers Day

Where did "Mothers Day" come from? I decided to do some research on mothers day to see where and when this holliday all started. I am surprised by the results.

During the course of my research I found several different things for Mothers Day. All different origins. I decided to go with the U.S. rater than Greece or anywhere else. Why? Well its going to make more sense since most people around here don't worship the Ancient Greek Gods and Goddesses... Or do they? Who knows.

Anyway, Mothers Day celebrates motherhood generally and the positive contributions of mothers to society. It falls on the second Sunday of each May. It is the result of a campaign by Anna Marie Jarvis (1864-1948), who, following the death of her mother on May 9, 1905, devoted her life to establishing Mother's Day as a national, and later an international, holiday. I personally think she just wanted her 5 minutes of fame and stole the holliday from the U.K. Their Mothers Day occurs in the fourth Sunday of Lent. And the U.K. stole it from Greece. Their mothers day is sometime in March and has to do with one of their Motherine Goddesses.
Mothers Day (U.S. style) also had something to do with women against the war around this time.

These days all Mothers Day really is, is a way for the stores and companies to have "Mothers Day Blowout Sales!!" Thats right. "Buy this crappy diamond braclet for your special mother for only $9,999,990.00!!!!"

No comments: