Sunday, April 18, 2010

Homemade Laundry Detergent

I've been thinking about making home made laundry detergent for a while now. I've just been too lazy or unmotivated to do it. Finally when Katherine (sister in law) did it I figured its now or never. While I'm at it, I'll make home made fabric softener as well. I went and got all of the stuff yesterday.. Walmart is great for Borax, buckets & baking powder. While smiths is good for the rest of it. Walmart does not carry fels naptha or washing soda. Lame-o's. 


I mixed both the detergent and the fabric softeners in 5 gallon buckets. I doubled the fabric softener recipe. I did one recipe, and then repeated it because the chemical reaction of vinegar and baking soda almost overflows in the bucket. I recommend NOT doubling it at the same time. ha!


Anyway, here is the recipe's I used:


Laundry Detergent:



1 quart Water (boiling)
2 cups Bar soap (grated)
2 cups Borax
2 cups Washing Soda
  • Add finely grated bar soap to the boiling water and stir until soap is melted. You can keep on low heat until soap is melted.
  • Pour the soap water into a large, clean pail and add the Borax and Washing Soda. Stir well until all is dissolved.
  • Add 2 gallons of water, stir until well mixed.



Baking soda
Distilled White Vinegar
Water
Essential Oil (optional)

  • Start by adding 1 cup of baking soda to your large bucket or container. Then add 1 cup of water to the baking soda. You do not have to stir to dissolve the baking soda, as the next step will do that for you.
  • Now, slowly pour in 6 cups of distilled white vinegar. This will cause a chemical reaction with the baking soda, and the mixture will start to fizz. (This is why you need to mix it in a large container.) Let the mixture fizz for a few minutes to help dissolve the baking soda.
  • Now add 6 more cups of water to the mixture. This will stop the fizzing process. Stir to properly mix all ingredients together.
  • If you want to add essential oil, you will now add your choice of oil. 10-15 drops of pure essential oil is generally sufficient enough to give the fabric softener a pleasant scent.
  • Pour your fabric softener into your choice of container. If you have left over fabric softener or laundry soap bottles, those will work excellent for storage of your new fabric softener. Just make sure they are properly cleansed before you add your new mix.


2 comments:

Katherine said...

Sweet! So, have you tried it yet?

Sharifa said...

Yes! I love it! I like the fact that all I can smell is clean and not some fragrance. the fabric softener works REALLY well!