Thursday, April 22, 2010

Earth Day








Its that time of year again. The day when everyone is more conscience of the earth & ways to be green.  Here are a few things I have been doing:



  • Using florescent bulbs instead of incandescents
  • Unplug small appliances when they are not in use (such as the toaster etc)
  • We've just started eating two vegetarian meals a week, the WHOLE family
  • Homemade laundry soap
  • Recycle
  • Instead of using harsh chemicals to clean my house I use vinegar/water & baking soda
  • I try to use reusable grocery bags... Lets face it, who really remembers those every time.. I don't. ha!
  • Reusable water bottles
  • We have little to no clothing that requires dry cleaning. 
  • HE washer and dryer
  • We often wash our clothes in cold water. 

Things I would like to do in the future:



  • Install low-flow shower heads
  • Install faucet aerator on each faucet
  • Install "low flow" toilets
  • Buy 'tree free' products (recycled paper products)
  • Compost for the garden
  • Shop at the Farmers Market

There are a bunch more but I always seem to run out of time during posts like these. So, in honor of Earth day we are not turning on any TV's in the house all day. And this weekend we will be planting not one, but two tree's. 


Here are a few Earth Day websites:




Earth Day 2010
Earth Day Network
EPA Earth Day

No comments: