
When I became pregnant with my son everyone began to tell me what a lovely experience it was to be pregnant and also give birth.. Well there must be something wrong with me because for the first trimester of my pregnancy I was vomiting about every 5 minutes and sleeping in between. The second trimester - It was a little better. I mean, I could work and was only throwing up about every other day or if I ate something that my stomach didn't want. Usually what I ate during my pregnancy was fruit. Thats it. With the exception of bananas because I vomited that up in the first trimester.. I am done with banana's for a while. Anyway - The THIRD trimester I was still working but was in bad shape. My stomach was so huge that walking was a struggle. I worked up at the University of Utah and the bathroom was a 5-7 walk down a narrow hallway.. That made my life a living hell.. Have you ever seen a huge pregnant lady running for the bathroom.. Literally sprinting? Because my co-workers did. Imagine this: A smaller girl with a huge baby belly running down a hallway she barely fits in, holding her stomach up as she's running. Funny picture? Probably but I hated it. Also, the only comfortable way I wanted to sleep was on my back. For those of you have been pregnant before know what happens when you do that. Light headedness and elevated heart rate. I wanted to sleep on my stomach as well but everyone should know how that would turn out...
Now onto labor.. I had this idiot idea to have a natural birth. No drugs. I was told that it was easy and a better experience. Let me tell you I have never felt such horrible pain in my life. I was dialated to 7 and I decided to get an epidural. Good idea right? Thats what I thought too... I had two doses of the epidural in a 3 hour period. I was induced at 12pm... and started pushing at 8pm. I had the epidural at 5pm. and the second one at 7pm. When I started pushing at 8pm I was having some slight pain, but by then of course it was too late to have another dose. By the second push I could feel everything. Every tiny pain and every huge pain.
I'll spare you the gross details of giving birth.
My son was born at 8:16pm. 16 minutes of pushing felt like hours.
So, if someone tries to tell you that pregnancy/labor is great? They are lying to you.
Now onto labor.. I had this idiot idea to have a natural birth. No drugs. I was told that it was easy and a better experience. Let me tell you I have never felt such horrible pain in my life. I was dialated to 7 and I decided to get an epidural. Good idea right? Thats what I thought too... I had two doses of the epidural in a 3 hour period. I was induced at 12pm... and started pushing at 8pm. I had the epidural at 5pm. and the second one at 7pm. When I started pushing at 8pm I was having some slight pain, but by then of course it was too late to have another dose. By the second push I could feel everything. Every tiny pain and every huge pain.
I'll spare you the gross details of giving birth.
My son was born at 8:16pm. 16 minutes of pushing felt like hours.
So, if someone tries to tell you that pregnancy/labor is great? They are lying to you.

No comments:
Post a Comment