Sunday, March 15, 2009

Locked In

This last week I have been home sick from work. I stayed home Tuesday and Wednesday. (Thursday I had off already for Katherine's wedding and Fridays are always off) 
On Wednesday Amir was doing really good. He played mainly in the livingroom where I was laying on the couch. After he ate lunch I layed back down on the couch and he headed for his room. This is a normal thing. He shut his door when he went in, also a normal thing. I got up to go open the door so I could still hear and see him (usually I put a blanket in the door way so he cant close it all the way) but this time as I reached out for the handle I heard a small "click" when I was just inches from the handle. Once I heard that I knew what he was doing. He was trying to lock the door. He usually does this but is unsuccessful in actually locking the door. But this time, he actually locked it!! Of course he also had both dogs in his room with him AND my cell phone. (we don't have a land line)
I was talking to him through the door trying to get him to unlock the door. He didn't. So I went around the house and gathered every single key that I could find that we didn't already know what it went to. After that I tried every single key in the door. None were successful. Then I decided I would try the old "credit card in the door" trick. Didn't work. About this time the dogs were starting to panic. At this point I decided to run to the neighbors house and use their phone. I went to the neighbor to the West. I knocked on their door and there was no answer. Then I went to the neighbor to the East. No answer. At this point I begin to panic a little because Amir and the dogs are in the house by themselves locked in his bedroom. So then I ran across the street because I noticed their front door and garage were open. I knocked on their open front door and nobody came. So then I went to the backyard where the garage was open.. NOBODY was home. Smart thing to do right? Leave your house unattended with your doors open. Yes.
To make a long story short I went to what felt like almost every house on my street. I finally found someone about four or five houses down and they let me use their cell phone. I called Rich so he could come home and save us. 
When he got home he also tried the credit card trick... Didn't work. He ended up having to break the handle. I was completely okay with that because I didn't like the fact that his door could lock in the first place. So now, when he locks the door its a little harder to get into but you just have to turn the handle harder than normal so the whole thing shifts. 

No comments: